Eggplants. Not everyone’s cup of tea. I LOVE em. They will soak up any flavour, get creamy, smokey OR crispy.
They are easy to grow. It is also low in fat, and protein and carbs.
This dish is REALLY YUM. It is also low in calories BUT pairs up really well with pasta, garlic bread or polenta.
Eggplants can be a little bitter when raw, so precooking them a little takes the edge of and helps them soften up a little faster. You can
- Olive oil spray
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1 zucchini, finely grated
- 1 large jar pasta sauce OR Pasatta and some salt
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 2 large eggplants, sliced finely
- 500g ricotta
- ½ cup basil, leaves only
- 2 cups grated cheese
- Pasta, garlic bread or polenta to serve
- Heat a pot and spray in a good amount of olive oil, stir in the onion, garlic, carrot & zucchini to soften, then add the Napoli sauce. Bring to the boil and simmer, season with salt and pepper.
- Pop on your oven's grill. Line 2 baking trays and place the egplant in one layer, spray with olive oil and grill on one side until brown, flip and repeat.
- Turn your oven over to bake and the heat to 160C.
- Spray a medium sized oven proof dish with olive oil and put a cup of Napoli in the bottom, arrange one layer of eggplant, then ⅓ of the ricotta and ⅓ of the basil. Repeat 3 times or until you have used up all the ingredients.
- Top with cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes until the cheese has melted and serve with whichever side you have chosen.