Not REALLY a family meal, but our kids will eat this minus the spice.
This is a low calorie option so add some bread, noodles or a wrap!
- Olive Oil ½ tablespoon
- Brown Onion 1 small, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 small red chillies , sliced - optional
- 3 Roma Tomatoes, diced
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated then juiced
- 1 cup veggie stock
- 1kg mussels beards removed (see note)
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and chilli if you like it.
- Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add tomato, lemon rind, lemon juice, stock to the pan and give it a good stir.
- Bring sauce to the boil then reduce heat to simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes to allow it to
- thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mussels to sauce. Cover and cook, shaking pan occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until mussel shells open. Discard unopened shells.
- Transfer sauce and mussels into your bowls and garnish with parsley
Step 1: place mussels in a large bowl. Cover with cold water. Swish them around to remove grit from shells.
Step 2: Remove mussels, one at a time, hold in one hand. Using free hand, grab the beard (clump of hairs) and sharply tug down to remove. Transfer cleaned mussel shells to a fresh bowl of water.