My goal is to create a menu that will feed a family of 4, for a week, for $40. Can I do it? I dunno.
The nachos were nice tho!!
And there was a serve of Mexi Bake for later in the week, just add a packet of pasta to your shopping list & 150g grated cheese!
- A splash of water to moisten the pan
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks celery, grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- (OR a taco seasoning mix, I kept herbs to a minimum to lower costs..)
- 200g minced beef
- 400g tin kidney beans
- 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 150g cheese, grated finely
- 1 packet corn chips
- In a non stick pan heat the water and add the onion, stir for a minute then add remaining ingredients. Soften for a couple of minutes and add herbs/spice mix.
- Stir in meat, brown it and then add the remaining ingredients aside from the cheese and corn chips.
- Cook down for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile turn on your griller, line a baking tray with waxed paper and layer half the chips with half the cheese, ¼ of the con carne mix, then add the rest of the chips, another ¼ of the con carne and the rest of the cheese.
- Place under the grill until the cheese melts, and serve with your fave Mexi sides.
- Save the rest of the con carne to serve with some pasta later in the week!