Custard is a great addition to the lunch box, but the ones you buy in the shop contain HEAPS of preservatives and refined sugar. AND they are expensive!! For a couple of bucks you can make yourself a whole pot of custard. Best news is this freezes really well, so not only can be made in bulk and put away but it will keep your ham sandwich cold! WIIIIN.
- 2 cups milk, plus a couple of tablespoons to add to the dry ingredients to avoid lumps..
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon custard powder
- 2 tbs cacao/cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Combine milk and sugar in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- In the meantime, whisk custard powder and cocoa in the remaining milk, making sure that there are no lumps.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, remove from heat and slowly add the custard powder mixture whisking continuously.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer whisking continuously until the mixture thickens, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and mix vanilla extract.
- Let the mixture cool and pour it in to small freezer safe containers..