Yeah I know, this is a really old style meal right? But it is actually yummy! Even our kids enjoy dipping a bit of bread with blue cheese into this one.
The best bit about it is that it can be vego, or you can add a piece of meat and cook it within to make something for later in the week! I love brisket as is cooks down a treat and shreds into a taco or burrito mix.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter/marg
- 1 piece stewing meat OPTIONAL
- 1 kg brown onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 litre stock
- 1 litre water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tamari or soy
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- **I like to make this in my pressure or slow cooker, it just works for me, stovetop is fine!
- Heat a large pot and soften butter, add oil and if you are using meat pop it in an brown it on all sides, then remove and set aside.
- Lower heat and add onions to the pan, soften slowly so the start to caramelise. Add garlic and maple then cook a little longer until the mix is brown and sweet.
- Add remaining ingredients(pause piece of meat if you are keen) , add a lid and simmer for 1 hour on stovetop, 6 hours on low in the slow cooker or as high as you can get in your pressure cooker (they all different so...).
- Remove meat, allow to cool then shred.
- Taste the soup and add salt and pepper and if needed some extra soy.
- Serve with cheesy croutons, our kids like blue cheese on theirs!