I try to offer our family at least 2 meat free days a week. I think it is good for many things, including the soul AND the hip pocket!
This dish is fab with zucchini noodles if you are watching your waist, with pasta for the kids, topped with cheese and baked (for the more particular eaters, I can even fool my husband with this one!) or in a shepherds pie style of dish.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 2 celery sticks, grated
- 400 g tin lentils, drained
- 400 g tin crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt & cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or brown sugar to reduce acidity
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onions, garlic, zucchini, carrot and celery, cook for a few minutes stirring occasionally to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook down until sauce has reduced, taste it and add some balsamic if the tomatoes are too acidic, then cook down a little longer to thicken.
- Serve with accompaniment of choice!