This is a great dish to add into the mix for a meat free family option, or to lower food costs.
I often have my serve with zoodles for a lighter meal, but the kids and Micka have it with spaghetti and heaps of cheese. If your family is a little picky a great idea is to make it into a pasta bake, top it with grated cheese and bake it up all melty.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 500 g mushrooms, finely diced/grated
- 400 g tin of diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- Sea salt - to taste
- Cracked pepper - to taste
- Zoodles or spaghetti to serve
- Parmesan/cheddar cheese to top
- In a saucepan heat oil over medium-low heat and add onion, carrot and garlic. Cook down until softened.
- Add mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs, spices and sugar.
- Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until sauce has thickened and reduced a little.
- Meanwhile prepare your zoodles/cook your spaghetti to packet directions.
- Serve with just the right amount of cheese!