- 1 small pumpkin, halved and sliced reasonably thinly (see note) - 2-3 cups cooked..
- Olive oil spray
- 2 free range eggs
- Sea salt & pepper
- 3-4 cups gluten free flour, you might need more, depends on the mix
- Butter & Parmesan to serve
- Pre heat your oven to 180C and lay the pumpkin in one layer on 2 baking trays. Spray each side of the pump with oil and pop in the oven for about 20 mins or until soft.
- When cool enough to handle, scrape the pumpkin flesh into a medium bowl discarding the skin and seeds.
- Add the eggs and a good pinch of salt and pepper and mash the pumpkin totally until the mix resembles a puree.
- Add 2 cups of flour, stir to combine. Then add flour half a cup at a time until your mix comes together in a sticky dough. You want it to JUST combine. Too much flour makes these gnocchi pretty gluggy.
- Once you have a ball, sprinkle some flour on your surface and plop the ball out onto it.
- Use a knife to cut off a small chunk, dust it with flour and roll a log. Cut off small almond size pieces and roll them into ovals with hands lightly dusted with flour.
- Repeat until all your mix is done.
- Boil the water and add it to a saucepan, add a little salt. Cook the gnocchi in 3-4 batches by plunging it in the water, waiting 30 seconds, stirring to avoid sticking then waiting until the gnocchi floats to the surface. Use a slotted spoon to remove the cooked noodles and pop it aside to drain. Repeat until all is done.
- Heat a good knob of butter in a fry pan, add gnocchi (you may need to do two batches..) and fry to crisp up a little, sprinkle with extra salt and a generous amount of Parmesan.
Each pumpkin is different, you can use whatever size you want you just need to make sure you end up with 2-3 cups cooked.