I love Mexican in all forms. Even soup.
This dish is kid friendly and loved by our WHOLE crew. I always chuck in an extra chicken breast and BANG, burrito dinner for later in the week.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried smokey paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried corriander
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups stock
- 1 400 g tin diced tomatoes
- 2 cups butternut pumpkin, diced into little squares
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tin black beans, or kidney, drained
- 1 chicken breast, cut into 3
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels, frozen, tinned or cut fresh off the cob
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest, finely grated
- 1 lime, cut into wedges for serving (optional)
- Cilantro leaves, finely chopped, for garnish (optional
- Heat oil over medium heat in a medium pot. Add onions and pepper then cook, stirring, until softened, about three minutes. Add garlic, dried spices, and salt, and cook, stirring, for one minute.
- Stir through stock and tomatoes.
- Add pumpkin, beans and chicken and simmer the mix for 15-20 mins until chicken is cooked through and pumpkin pieces are soft.
- Pull out the chicken pieces and shred them up, then add them back to the pot with the corn & lime zest.
- Simmer for a further 5 mins, taste and add more salt if you want!